Thursday, September 22, 2011

RE: Common struggles of a Filipino Maid

 I feel that it is unfair that Filipinos in the Philippines aren't being treated with respect, especially when they are only working for $18 a month for endless hours. Not only do they do chores, but they also have to take care of their boss's kids. Aside from working/babysitting, they are abused and harassed after making such little mistakes, like not cooking the right food, not fully completing what they have to do. They are maids, but they are being treated almost as if they were slaves. Because of this, they are wanting to leave their country for better salary and to be treat with more respect.
          Got this piece from my home girl Josephine. The way some Filipinos treat their maids are horrible. Some get harrased sexually, some get beat up for things they didn't do right. I took a trip to the Philippines with my dad about three years ago, more or less. That is the first time I've seen someone disrespect and treat someone as if they were some sort of slave. My grandparents have a maid as well. But they treat her as if she was one of their children. She also got a good salary too.
           I'm not sure if it's just because my granparents are old and sweet. But it seems as though younger people treat their maids unfairly. One day I visited my uncle's friend's place. We were sitting outside relaxing in some shade while the sun was slowly setting. And the next minute I hear him yell the maid's name, which I can't remember. She came over and waited to recieve orders. He yelled at her just to get him a beer. I told my uncle I didn't like this man very much and I wanted to leave. But I didn't know how to get back to my grandparents house by myself so I was forced to stay
           It was dinner time the man kept yelling at her and telling her to harry up. The man ended up going in the kitchen and slapped her in the face for taking too long to make food. The lady looked terrified. A lot of Filipino people move to the U.S because they think they have a better life here. The Philippines is a crazy place. And so are the people. I believe that the maids should be treated as you would want to be treated with respect and politeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment