Friday, October 7, 2011

RE: Music

Got this peace off my home girl Bridget.
There's some things that annoy me when it comes to music, now I know everybody has their own taste in music that they enjoy listening to. But for example, when it comes to hip-hop genre for me, I prefer that it's better for people to listen to old school or underground, instead of today's mainstream. Why? Because old school has better lyrics that many other people besides the artist/rapper can relate to the meaning of the song. Compared to today's hip-hop, I hear nothing but cussing, rapping about money, girls, them cocky selves, and getting laid and honestly they can't even rap with rhythm. Even though some of the beats these days sound better, old school keeps it mellow and simple.
    
I agree 100% with this. Music isn't how it used to be. Even though I didn't grow up with old school hip-hop, I always loved tuning into it. One of my uncles was into old school hip-hop a lot. I remember visiting him and seeing his garage door open. As I step out my car door I hear him blasting some music by A Tribe Called Quest. Who is still one of my favorite rap crews. The time was about 1998 which was when A Tribe Called Quest was on top of their game, and were quite known in the music industry.
Today’s music is all about sex, drugs, prostitutes, or being in jail. Basically they like to rap about things that make them seem tough. The thing I love about old school hip-hop and underground hip-hop is they rarely rap upon that stuff. Old school raps about daily struggles or the success they have, a real story. With underground music, when they rap about the sex and the drugs, they’re making fun and clowning on the people who rap about it. And continue to rap about legitimate things. I call it true lyrics. It isn’t a bunch of repeating. If you listen to both old school and underground they rarely have a chorus where they repeat the same thing all over again. It’s 4 minutes, more or less, of TRUE lyrics.
If you were to chop up the chorus of a rap song nowadays, the song will probably be a minute long. I tend to turn away from the music currently produced and look up songs and do research about old school hip-hop. It is just a lot more enjoyable to listen to. It is literally music to my ears. Scratch that, it is GREAT music to my ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment