Wednesday, October 12, 2011

BC: Steve Jobs Made Apples Cool.

         
When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

—Steve Jobs, in a 2005 speech

Steve Jobs changed the world. He inspired everyone from everywhere, from musicians/producers, artist, businesses, etc. He made jobs and daily life easier with his extremely high tech MacBook laptops, computers, and other amazing gadgets. I still can't believe he's been in the business since 1970's. And that he built iTunes form the ground up. Ever since he's made the MacBook or the IPod, etc. Everyone's been trying to make something similar to it. It is amazing what Steve Jobs has done. He literally made the first touch screen phone/MP3 device. It's easy to forget how one person started a revolution.
I agree with his quote, "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And he said if it was "No" too many days in a row, he knew he had to change something. Now to me, I don't understand the quote fully, but I get a sense of what he's saying.
The quote he lived by required a lot of thinking. It made you plan out your whole day. "Should I do this today?" "Well, I have to do this..." "But I really shouldn't be doing..." Another way of putting the direction Steve Jobs was going is. Live life to the fullest and live as though you'll be gone tomorrow. It's like saying, "Should I hate my teacher just because we get piles of homework?" and the answer should be no.
Another scenario, let’s say you went to the doctor and he told you, you will die in 24 hours. Do your homework, talk to that girl, and help out your mom, make a good impression of yourself. If you were to die tomorrow, people will remember you as the kid who never did his homework. Your mom would remember you as an unthankful child although she will miss you dearly. And the girl you've liked for the past month or so, who you never talked to, will never truly know the really you. Let people remember you as a successful person and not a failure.
Lastly, live today like it's your last. Focus on the present, stop worrying and stressing about the future or the past. Past should be forgotten. God gave your eyes in front of you and not on the back of your head, because he wanted you to go forward and forget about the past. "Live in the present and not the past", I once read. I like to follow that quote. Starting up a new day I wake up, shower, eat breakfast then head to school. After school I get home do my homework, talk to some friends, or play some videos games afterwards and then sleep. Starting up the new day again, living in the present try not to think about what you did yesterday and just go through your day. Every day I wake up God gives me another chance to raise my grade or improve in life. If it was my time to go and I've done everything I can I wouldn't have woken up again. God gave Steve Jobs years upon years to be successful and he did. He's done everything he can do. As I said earlier, he changed the world. And may he rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment